View Single Post
Old November 28, 2000, 08:39 PM   #8
HankL

MY LOGIC AND REASONING ??? It will be this summer before I can play with working up loads again but I will be more than happy. In the mean time, I would venture this.
Accurate load in 7 STW with 160 gr. projectile = 3100 fps
would give you would give you a drop of around 18" with a 200 yd zero. The 30 cal with the 180 gr. at 3000 fps will give you about the same drop, deliver more energy and buck the wind a little better using similarly constructed projectiles.The 308 using 165 gr hunting projectiles will drop around 21" at 400 yds when using the same 200 yd zero.
I might be able to work up a faster accurate load for my particular rifle which will improve things but until the laws of physics change a 15" drop within these parameters will be wonderful! I'd say, get whatever suits your fancy and shoot it until you know it as well as you do your best friend! On a large open field I would not shoot at a game animal at over 300 yds because I could not evaluate it well and it would be hard to determine where it exited the field if it were to run a bit. Wide open spaces might be different but I hunt mostly here in MS. My best shot on a non game animal was a 2 shot stop on a coyote at a bit over 800 yds. A bunch of luck was involved but the bottom line was I knew the rifle like the back of my hand!
Caliber was 308!
Good luck in your quest.

Page generated in 0.03296 seconds with 8 queries