View Single Post
Old February 7, 2005, 03:21 PM   #31
Handgunr

Hello all,

The primer alone has the capability to push the bullet into the barrel past the forcing cone all on it's own. The only reason that any bullet would get stuck in the barrel would be one of two reasons;
-The powder in the case was contaminated & wouldn't ignite
(aka a squib load)
...... or
-There was no powder in the cartridge...

If the bullet is pushed from the case at all, it's because the primer did the pushing, but there either wasn't anything ahead of it to build pressure, or it was contaminated and wouldn't burn.
With or without a crimp, the bullet should've travelled on out of the barrel just from the friction fit in the case alone. That's if all else was functioning properly. Crimps hold the loaded bullets in place during recoil, and provides resistance when the cartridge is ignited, making the load more effiicent, but without it, and just a friction fit, the load should still push the bullet out with plenty of authority.

If the powder was contaminated, and failed to ignite, flakes of it would be all over the action when the bullet is driven out anyway. It would've been clearly visible and probably all over your shooting hand.

I had called CCI/Tech's sometime ago in relation to their tolerances/misfire problems I had been encountering during loading in the past several years. They stated that "within the tolerances accepted in the industry, CCI sizes their primer cups up on the higher end of them".
I was having misfires with CCI's in certain makes of brass and come to find out, if the brass pockets were slightly tighter, or smaller, I'd run into problems. With CCI's being on the higher end of those tolerances previously mentioned, seating them would fracture the priming compound in the cup and the mixture would crumble and fall into the powder charge.
At that point the primer would be useless no matter how many hits it had.

After using CCI's for years, and never figuring out the misfire here & there, I finally went to the source for the answer.
Now I use nothing but Winchester's and Federals.

My 2,

Take care all,
Bob

Page generated in 0.02472 seconds with 8 queries