View Single Post
Old August 12, 2017, 10:32 AM   #13
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNDII
Building your own from the ground up is the perfect way to go to ensure you end up with exactly what you want. It's isn't necessarily cheaper but it is better. It is the process of actually doing it where your likely to learn the most and get the most out of it.
Indeed. For someone like me (not very handy), it makes sense to buy an assembled upper if:

1. You want fixed front sight and delta ring. I can use a pair of snap ring pliers, but I wouldn't have the first idea about how to drill a barrel for the pins that secure the front sight, or

2. Someone makes an upper with exactly the barrel, handguard and receiver you want at a great price, and you aren't going to build a second.

For the vise, vise block and wrench, I spent something like $70, but the real cost came in indulging my building habit. You may end up with a few rifles that perfectly reflect a goal you had in mind, but are not saleable for the cost of the parts you bought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skadoosh
Just don't buy a polymer lower. Milled lowers are just stupidly priced and unnecessarily heavy. Stick with a forged lower from any reputable manufacturer.
Forged lowers are great and they are affordable. Yet a couple of my favorite items have polymer lowers. They fit more tightly, feel nicer in the hand, and make for a forgiving first lower build.

Page generated in 0.03412 seconds with 8 queries