View Single Post
Old August 27, 2013, 09:26 AM   #62
shortwave

Know what ya mean hogdogs.

Not so much as to the rush of turnin the piggies loose...not that many around here so unfortunately I've not experienced the 'piggy rush'.
But turnin those 10+lb. bass loose down in Fla. was not a problem. Same as I do when hunting, I set up some personal guidelines for myself when I fished Fla. and never stuck my fillet knife in a bass over 7lbs.
Now I did have a few of the larger bass mounted and it would have taken a better than a 15lb'er to mount another but that never happened.

But the thrill of every fishing trip was/is the same as every hunting trip. Plotting our strategies in search of our quarry and all the chain of events that happens up to the point we achieve/or fail in bagging that trophy is all part of the buildup of excitement for me. Course, I'm always hoping that luck is on my side as well cause when dealing with trophies have usually found they have a better strategy then I do.

I've posted here before that I pre-season scout and pick a buck to hunt for the following deer season. All other bucks are left to walk. Sometimes this will be a true wall hanger that is old and past his prime, sometimes a buck with a big but deformed rack with apparent bad genetics.

The cat-n-mouse game we play often lasts for more then one season. All the events leading up to me getting lucky and arrowing that buck(if that ever happens) is as exciting as when actually letting the arrow fly. Once that buck is lying in front of me, I know that I was(luckily) the better warrior that day and show him the due respect for the usually long battle we fought. He'll eat well and I'm extremely thankful for him.

Had one buck I hunted so long that had proven to be such a true warrior and I had so much respect for him that I started thinking I may have a hard time killing him if I ever did get a clean shot at him. Never did get him. Got within 20-25yds a couple times but he never presented a clean shot.

Probably died of old age caused by me chasing him around the country.

Through the rest of deer season, I'll also take a doe or two for the freezer. They are not as hard to hunt but are still trophies and I respect them in the sense that they put meat in the freezer. I'm always thankful as to how they got here in the first place, what they were put on the earth for and especially thankful I live in a country in which I'm allowed to hunt.

Page generated in 0.02678 seconds with 8 queries