View Single Post
Old July 10, 2012, 03:05 PM   #8
Botswana

My uneasiness about gun free zones comes from the fact that nearly all of the mass shootings in the last few years have occurred in them. Maybe all of them but I'm sure someone will jump and point out that "Shooting X where X people were killed and X people were wounded occurred on a city street" or something.

Having that big "gun free zone" sign is just asking for trouble. Why not put up something that says "Easy victims here"

While I actually understand that the college's may worry about a liability issue, they could probably cover themselves better by just complying with local legislation rather than trying to create a perfectly safe environment. By disarming students they are taking on responsibility for their safety. In addition to treating them like children, I would think this opens them up for more liability when a shooting like VA Tech takes place.

In my opinion, when an organization or a business further restricts what a lawful citizen cannot do, they are taking on that responsibility for themselves.

Question is, how do you safely secure a college campus?

I think my roundabout point here is that these restrictions have no real world basis and are likely politically motivated without any real thought to student safety. I've met the stereotypical college fratboy. I'd still rather they be allowed to pack heat, in compliance with local laws, rather than take my chances where everyone but the criminals are unarmed.

Page generated in 0.04573 seconds with 8 queries