View Single Post
Old July 20, 2000, 06:35 PM   #13
Glamdring

If it were me I would want a 160 grain swift loaded to around 2700 fps [depends on rifle and brrl length might have to settle for ~2600]. Unless the rifle hates it. A 160 Nosler is probably more apt to shoot well in any given rifle.

I do tend towards heaver/tougher bullets [my bias]. A 140 Nosler in the lungs would do the job with no question asked. A lot of it depends on the shooter's judgement and control. Can you pass on a raking from the rear shot ? Can you shoot good enough in the field to place the bullet in the lungs without hitting any bones bigger than ribs?
What do you tend to use for an aiming point in the field? I have hunted with people who "aim" at the middle of the critter [and no I won't hunt with them again]. And with people that try for heart shot. And some like me try to break the shoulder on all game [not just dangerous game]. Part of my reasoning is their are only two types of game I love to hunt Mt game and dangerous [bears and big cats] so I view other hunting as practice for that. YMMV.
Or in other words if you don't shoot for the shoulder like I do you don't need as high a SD or as tough a bullet as I would pick.

Page generated in 0.04005 seconds with 8 queries