View Single Post
Old March 26, 2018, 01:48 AM   #51
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
I won three of the LCR models of Ruger, 22lr, 327 Fed. and the .357 Mag. Love them all. I use the .22 for target practice and gun handling. Still up in the air on the .327 Fed. It shoots nice but does have a kick. Have not tried any other of the .32 caliber rounds through it yet.
Lucky! How did you manage that?

When it comes to using the LCR 327 in .327 Federal, I recommend the 85-grain Hydra-Shoks. We did a "blind" test of bunch of different rounds/calibers through different models of LCR with a few friends. The 100 and 115-grain loads we tried in .327 Federal were less comfortable and closer in recoil to Wal-Mart's cheapest 125-grain loads in .357 magnum. The 85-grain .327 Hydra-Shoks, marketed as "low recoil", were indistinguishable from mid-weight .38 +p from the LCR 38 in terms of felt recoil. (It was louder but it felt about the same.) The difference on water jugs was pretty spectacular though. Setting aside the math of an 85-grain hollowpoint traveling at around 1275 fps, it was the best jug-buster for the least recoil.

The only commercial .32 H&R magnum ammo we could find felt more like standard-pressure mid-weight .38 special from the heavier LCR 357. It was about as effective too. (I don't remember the brand.) The Magtech .32 S&W Long 98 grain SJHP was a real pussycat to shoot. It performed as expected in the bottom tier as far as destruction. It is still more powerful and more reliable than .22 LR. It kicks a little more than rimfire but nowhere near the big boys and the lighter trigger pull keeps it preferable.

Page generated in 0.04666 seconds with 8 queries