View Single Post
Old March 25, 2018, 09:50 PM   #43
Prof Young

More on CVA Kentucky Rifle

Okay so I got the mag spark, which lets one use 209 primers instead of percussion caps. It fit the nipple hole just fine, but the hammer would not come down over the whole thing the way it should. Turns out the nipple, as it was originally installed, is not well lined up with the hammer. Looking at the drum I had to turn it a fraction of an inch counter clockwise to get it to line up correctly. Had not noticed this before. I think the hammer was not coming down square on the percussion cap nipple which may have been part of the original problem. Hmmmmm . . . .
Anyway I got the mag-spark installed. On the not so good side I have to have the hammer at full cock to get the cap that screws on over the primer on to the nipple threads. (Check out mag spark on line to get the idea.) Anyway the 209 primers really do the job. Eight shots in a row with no cleaning of any kind and no failures of any kind. Shooting a 225 gr Powerbelt I was getting about a ten inch group with 80 gr of pyrodex powder. Tried it at 85 grains and got a five inch group with my last three shots. This was at 65 yards off a sandbag bench rest. I now feel confident enough to use this for Whitetail come this Fall.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Page generated in 0.02144 seconds with 8 queries