View Single Post
Old April 9, 2002, 03:37 PM   #8
fastforty

I'm with Ron. I use 26-28 gr in my .44 & it does well. With Pyrodex P, at 30gr I start losing accuracy. And yes, the stuff will attract corrosion. You need to clean the entire firearm with *WATER*. Hot, soapy water is good. It takes water to dilute & remove the salts. My bro & I couldn't bring ourselves to use water the first time we shot our .44's. We cleaned very diligently with Hoppe's, but a few days later you could hardly see down the bore. Another long, diligent cleaning with Hoppe's, & a week later the same thing, lots of corrosion. We finally dunked'em in water and scrubbed them out, the corrosion stopped.

A good thing to (whether it's a new gun, or one you have just finished cleaning) is to soak it in very hot water (the metal will steam itself dry when removed from the bath). While it is still very warm, coat everything with "Bore Butter" or a similar product. Heating the firearm is essential, it forces the petroleum based oils out of the metal, and liquifies the Bore Butter, drawing into the metal as it cools.

Page generated in 0.02309 seconds with 8 queries