View Single Post
Old March 28, 2013, 01:11 AM   #6
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
The question is whether having the chamber live for hours (concealed carry) or for days or weeks (home defense) will damage the hammer spring.
As already mentioned, there is no hammer spring. There is a firing pin/striker spring, and it is partially compressed with a round chambered.

There should be no issue with leaving a round chambered in a Glock from the perspective of the firing pin spring. I have a Glock 20 that I purchased about 20 years ago. Since that time, it has been my nightstand gun and has remained loaded for essentially the entire time. I shoot it occasionally and have never had a misfire or any other evidence that the firing pin spring has been weakened.

While springs CAN, under certain circumstances, weaken from being left compressed, it is usually only when they are fully compressed or overcompressed and when there is some aspect of the design that prevents the designer from making the spring as strong as he would have otherwise liked to. With a round chambered, the Glock firing pin spring is about half compressed by length, only about 25% in terms of stored energy and therefore it would be extremely unlikely for there to ever be an issue.

Page generated in 0.02623 seconds with 8 queries