View Single Post
Old May 9, 2011, 12:03 AM   #15
Keg

Quote:
Last pig I got a couple of weeks ago was close enough to the truck that I could take it home and weigh, measure and clean it at the house. I have read about the chest measurement as the basis for a weight estimate so I did the measuring. Chest circumference of 38 inches, snout to rump measurement of 50 inches, and actual weight on my 500 pound scale of 120 pounds. If you use the chest measurement chart for the weight estimate then my pig should have weighed 181 pounds instead of the actual weight of 120 pounds. As the weight estimation chart says it was based on domestic pigs there may not be a correlation to wild pigs. I need to get some more pigs close by so I can take them home instead of field dressing them.

Actually I kind of like the chest circumference data- I can say the pig was 61 pounds heavier than it really was.

best wishes- oldandslow
What %??? Who's test to believe???

Quote:
"The most accurate estimates (i.e., r2 values of 0.97 to 0.99) were derived using gutted weight, body volume (i.e., heart girth x head-body length) and heart girth."
Lets go back to square one.....
My apologies...I did not read the last heart girth....But I feel this is just quick field measurement.....Condition will be noted.....There is so much difference in pigs from southwest or from farm country..etc..etc....
After doing a lot of checking on the net..it seems there can be inacuracies..even in domestic pigs......Also off..by 1 inch of measurement can mean plus/minus 10 pounds.....hmmmm.....Lets also have feedback from those who have not been to horn hill range..to remove all bias....thanks....

Last edited by Keg; May 9, 2011 at 03:23 AM.

Page generated in 0.03095 seconds with 8 queries