View Single Post
Old August 15, 2008, 07:00 AM   #11
Raider2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykeal
Very simple: the 777 was compressed too much. It happens in long guns as well, although it's more common in revolvers because the loading lever makes it very easy to do.

777 is an excellent propellant. It's not necessarily 'better' or 'worse' than real black powder, it's just different. Like many things it requires one learn how to use it properly before it's true worth is realized. Many people say, "Why bother?", and I have no problem with that. As long as real black's available, it's an easy decision.
Agreed 100%
I've been playing around with it in my CVA Bobcat because it was kinda hard to acquire the real stuff locally "Now I can get it " & after a can worth through it I've gotten the hang of using it in my Bobcat with .495/.010 PRB & 80gr. will make my shots very accurate at 50 yards "as long as I do my part" & supprisingly I can hit decently at 100 yards with my 320gr. Lee REAL bullets & 70gr. charge but I still need to fine tune it for that bullet/rifle combination.
777 FFFG deffinitly does not like to be compressed & really likes the bullet to just sit on the charge for best performance & reliability hence one of the reasons why I'm reluctant in using it in any of my C&B Revolvers the other reason is because the max charge I should be using in my pistols with it is only 25gr. & that'd means I would deffinitly need a filler or wad between the charge & bullet because of how my chambers on my one 58' are reamed to about .60 inches deep which would be just shy of touching the powder charge much less compressing it any.

Page generated in 0.02306 seconds with 8 queries