View Single Post
Old January 13, 2013, 05:26 PM   #5
bedbugbilly

I'm currently in AZ for the winter but will ask when I get back to MI this spring. My curiosity came about as I have been looking for a 3 or 4 inch barrel for CCW - I'd prefer a 3 but would settle on a 4. I like more "vintage revolvers" - i.e. a S & W M & P would be my first choice - a Colt Army Special/Official Police my second. I currently have a M & P Target with a 6" barrel that I really like as well as a Colt AS with a 6 inch barrel - fine for plinking and target practice but I'd really rather have a shorter barrel for CCW. I'm keeping my eyes open and at some point, I'll run across one.

I really don't know how MI would handle it - can't believe it would be a big problem but I haven't asked in regards to a change in a barrel lenght on a revolver after it was registered. Last year I bought a Ruger MK III Target here in AZ and took it back to MI to plink with during the summer. I registered it with no problems - they just registered it as a "transfer from Arizona". Had I not registered it and happened to be stopped on the way to another place to target shoot, I could have been charged with "possession of an unregistered firearm" - something a person doesn't want!

We all know that there are revolvers out there that have had barrels shortened or switched out to different lengths from factory lengths. Had I purchased - say a Colt OP in Arizona that had started life with a 6 inch barrel and at some point had been switched out with a 4 or 5 inch barrel - there would have been no problem with registering it in MI as a 'transfer from Arizona". They no longer require you to bring the weapon in - in fact they ask you not to - a liability thing. All I would have had to do was give them the information on the revolver as it currently was and they could care less if it started out as a 6 inch barrel and ended up at some point with a 4 inch barrel.

I'll check it out when I get back to MI and see what they say. I just wasn't sure if there was anything in the FFL transfer or law that would at some point possibly cause a problem. Mind you, I'm not talking about hacksawing the barrel off for the purposes of an unlawful pursuit. I'm just curious as to if there is a problem in changing barrel lengths that an owner finds more suited for his shooting and CCW purposes. Not a big issue - I've just never read anything pertaining to it. Thanks all for you input on it - greatly appreciated!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63

Page generated in 0.04786 seconds with 8 queries