View Single Post
Old June 25, 2009, 11:28 PM   #27
Lost Sheep

Sorry, I cannot just cover

In that situation, I don't think I could just sit around and let three guys break into my neighbor's car and steal who know what all and just wait to file a police report and have near zero chance of restitution or recovery.

I know there is a risk in confronting three guys (known, could be more), but from the description given by bones06 in the original post, it appears the situation would have evaluated as low risk. So, 99% chance of letting three miscreants get away with their crime or 1% chance of escalating the situation? I will take the risk and stand up for my neighbor.

Having said that, there is no way I would fire on anyone unless there was a definite threat. And even if I were fired on, if they were just trying to get away, I would probably let them go. After all, they just added felony charges for when the police DO get there. And I may have saved my neighbor's car.

Would I attempt to apprehend them? No. Talk to them and try to get them to stick around, yes, depending on my (continuing) assessment of the threat level. Now, if my threat assessment changed, and I would never get far from cover, I would immediately change tactics.

Call me foolish, but this sounded like a crime of opportunity, kids just wandering around looking for trouble, not some hard-core bangers.

Lost Sheep.

Page generated in 0.02572 seconds with 8 queries