View Single Post
Old November 21, 2002, 05:44 PM   #2
JM at Work

Spiros, welcome to the Reloading forum!

There is tons and tons of material on getting started; hours and even days of reading... you may have to get creative in your searches, but it is worth it.

I reload .44 spl and .38 spl on my Rock Chucker and it does a great job; it is slow as anything, and I value my handgun reloads highly because of that... whereas the .45 acp ammo I load on my Dillon Square Deal B I'm a lot less shy about using up, since I can churn out more very easily.

I tend to shoot far less of my revolver ammo anyway, so the slow speed of the 'Chucker isn't a problem for me.

The Rock Chucker's advantage is its flexibility; just buy a new set of dies and get going on a new caliber; there are even brands of dies that will allow you to load two calibers with the same die, like my Hornady .38/.357 (and I think my Lee .44 spl will make .44 magnum fodder, too)

The SDB is much faster, but (I've heard) a bit more difficult to transition between calibers, and more expensive. I'll probably get other SDBs in the future, to reload other handgun ammo, and dedicate each machine to a particular load. If you got for the higher-end Dillon progressives you can switch calibers a lot more easily.

Hope this is some help; I'm very new to reloading myself, having gotten my first press for Christmas two years ago. I now have the Dillon, the Rock Chucker, and a MEC shotshell reloader.

-Jorah

PS: I have the Lyman's manual, and it has extensive instructions on reloading well and safely.

Page generated in 0.02603 seconds with 8 queries