View Single Post
Old March 17, 2009, 01:19 PM   #16
johnwilliamson062

I see the point about hunting and the guerrilla warfare common to revolutions and resistance being linked. I would guess you would then also say the 2A protects your right to hunt, not just the right to maintain the weapons you use to hunt. As in a state outlawing deer hunting would be infringing on your 2A rights. Possibly harvest limits are infringements? I do not agree. This conclusion starts to broaden the 2A nearly to the extent of the interstate commerce clause. I think very few of us like where that has gone.

As far as I know the British never tried to control small arms prior to the beginning of the revolution. They only attempted to control artillery. During the Revolution I think their only controls were on Brown Bess rifles that were being picked up on the battlefield and provided by British defectors. I am not sure about this, I have never looked into the subject in detail.

The 2A was, I believe, put into place to protect military style weapons, specifically cannons. If that is not practical today then the amendment needs to be rewritten.

Page generated in 0.03435 seconds with 8 queries