View Single Post
Old July 5, 2008, 08:11 AM   #4
madcratebuilder

Quote:
OK, I have an AR-15 .223cal and will probably get a second one. But I also want a heavy hitter in .308 that hopefully will shoot both .308 comerical and mil-surp ammo and be accurate, reliable, and easy to keep working.
Do a search here about the headspace requirments to shoot both 308/7.62.

Quote:
I sorta like the AR platform like the DPMS .308, and I hear good things about it, but I am concerned that it doesn't have chrome chamber and bore.
Unless your shooting thousands of rounds per year I feel it's a non issue. I to want a .308 in a AR platform.

Quote:
I like the M1A but again the new ones anyway don't have a chrome chamber and bore, and some say they shouldn't be fired much with comerical ammo, do to higher pressures, resulting in bent OP rods.
It has more to due with the bullet weight, this can be compensated for with a grooved gas piston.

Quote:
Then we get to the FALs, and others that I don't know much about, but as least many of these do have chrome chambers and bores, which might make a difference under a real survival siduation.
Personally I would not be so concerned about a chrome bore. I'm not in the jungle in a combat situation.

Quote:
Maybe a civilian is better off with a good scoped bolt action with a mauser extractor, and possibly a stainless barrel? But I think a good semi-auto with a 20 round mag just might get one out of a tight spot better. I guess the main thing is, I am looking for something that will work, even if it gets abused and put up wet too many times.
Shop around for a older M1A. There are a lot of safe queens out there. I just picked up a M1A, made in 89, with TRW bolt, op-rod, trigger and GI barrel. Looks like it may have been fired a hundred times. This is my second one and well stay a standard GI rifle. It shoots damn near as well as my scoped NM M1A.

Page generated in 0.03727 seconds with 8 queries