View Single Post
Old March 19, 2015, 07:22 PM   #7
HKFan9

Quote:
I sure would like to see some documentation on that subject other than gun forum opinions.

I had a QPC/Bushmaster 5.56 A2 20" fluted HBAR 20+ years ago that shot MOA or better at 100 yards with A2 irons on a rest. Bushmaster claimed then that the barrel was MORE rigid and more accurate with the flutes than the standard HBAR. The (more expensive) fluted barrels were offered for many years and if your claim was the case, I'm sure there would have been a bit of backlash and lack of sales.

Just my $.02 worth...

I used to get to meet with all the major gun companies reps one or two times a year for my job... and you should hear all the claims they make... specially Taurus, its laughable.

Fluted barrels cost more money because its more time and labor. You're paying someone to mill the flutes into the barrel. Most bench and competition shooters like Bart B will point out, its an accuracy issue.

Flutes do a few things.... mostly they are for looks. Secondly long range hunters who hike like to squeeze out any extra ounces they don't think they need... because ounces add up to pounds, and the also allow more surface area to allow the barrel to cool down faster. Weather cooling a barrel down quickly is important to you or not, or even how effect a few flutes are, is always up to debate.

Now, fluted barrels can be pretty DARN accurate that is not what anyone is saying... however Bart is strictly talking about absolute BEST accuracy like in competition when millimeters make a big difference in your ranking.

Page generated in 0.02260 seconds with 8 queries