View Single Post
Old May 19, 2010, 03:40 PM   #50
Sarge

At least some of the problem here is just human nature. People generally follow the path of least resistance, regardless of their profession or place in the food chain. Political entities are no different. We tend to invest time & effort in the things that matter to us.

I've occupied every slot from boot patrolman to acting chief. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who like to shoot anymore than I do and given my background as a LE firearms trainer, I doubt you'll find anyone who deems any skill an officer possesses, as more crucial.

You know what? I still don't have the magic beans. I train others when resources and time permit. There are too few of both. I shove training ammo at the troops between training cycles and I have yet to have anyone refuse it.

I shoot with my folks in a casual environment pretty regular, and I enjoy those times immensely. I can assure you they're not only competent- but they understand the need to improve and they have the personal drive to do it. I'll give you an example. I was checking the sights on one officers G22 a few weeks ago, using a 2x3 post-it in the middle of a B27, at 25 yards. I had a good run and poked 3 holes in it, one notching the edge, another barely off it. A couple of them said "Let me try that!" and they were soon lined up three deep, shooting at 25 yard post-it notes. They were getting hits, too. Crime Dawg do not want these boys shooting at him.

Every herd has a few stragglers, of course, but we're working on those. All of them can qualify with lots of room to spare. If they can't, I won't put 'em on the street.

Page generated in 0.02699 seconds with 8 queries