Thread: Ammo costs
View Single Post
Old November 21, 2013, 03:17 PM   #39
BigJimP

Reloading is still the way to go .....and with a good progressive press, like a Dillon 650 - with a case feeder on it ....its easy to get 800 rds an hour off the press.

Speed in reloading is not really the key though ...its quality / and the Dillon 650 ( and other good machines like the Hornaday LNL ) will give you a very good cartridge - usually way better than most anything you can buy. So its not necessarily a big investment in your time ....but it does require some cash outlay for the equipment - and while most of us that reload, just shoot 2 or 3 times as much on the same ammo budget ....payback on a good loader, if you want to shoot much, is pretty quick.

Yes, component prices are up ...but the trick is to buy in case quantities...primers are in a box of 5,000 in case lots, buy powder in 8 lb kegs, and bullets by the case ( 115 gr 9mm FMJ - from Montana Gold come 4,000 to a case...).....and just anticipate your usage over 6 months or so -- and keep that much in terms of components on hand. Some Hodgdon powders are in short supply - but look at Alliant or other mfgs..../ check out the manuals - and find something that will work for you. There are powders like Unique - or Hodgdon Universal --- that are widely used in shotshells and handguns ...see if the trap - skeet clubs in your area are selling components...it might be another source.

My current cost on 9mm, 115gr FMJ Montana Gold bullet are right around $ 7.25 for a box of 50 rds ( sure its more than we paid for components in 2008 ) but so are a lot of things over the last 5 yrs...and $ 7.25 is sure better than paying $ 15 - $ 18 for retail 9mm....
------------------
I'm heading to my local range this afternoon - with a 1911 in 9mm and 5 boxes ( so call it $36 )...a S&W revolver in .44 mag and 1 box ( $12 ) and a S&W revolver in .357 mag and 4 boxes ( $ 36 )....and that's a lot of fun - and a lot of drills, I can run for about $ 85....for about 3 hours....

Last edited by BigJimP; November 21, 2013 at 03:23 PM.

Page generated in 0.02964 seconds with 8 queries