View Single Post
Old August 1, 2013, 07:26 PM   #40
Mystro

On my 300 yard groups, you can tell I took 2 shots, let the barrel cool for a few minutes then took 2 more shots. You can see each group of shots landed together. Its so hard to get really precise at 300 yards with a 9 power scope.

If you are asking about my pistol shot, I will give a little background and try to explain. I practice ALOT. I was a competitive IPSC shooter in the 1990's. I have always been a hardcore bowhunter and handgun hunter. I practice almost every day and between working and perfecting my reloads, and practice out to 200 yards with my 44mag.
I have taken ALOT of game with my handgun and bow. I feel pretty confident out to 150yards in most conditions. I can stretch that range in the right conditions and that's the case with taking that doe. Lying down resting back against a tree using my right knee to stabilize the pistol. Wind was calm and the deer was relaxed. It was instant , the doe fell over like I hit her with a 300 Win mag. She didn't even kick. I loaded the 240xtp to a mid power load. The bullet was recovered on the opposite side of the hide with great expansion. I have used many calibers handgun hunting and still feel the 44mag loaded at a manageable recoil is the most accurate and effective. The full story is at Hornady.com. To answer you question, I feel confident it was skill first with a bit of luck like most hunting shots. I do not recommend long range shots if you don't practice at those distances.
(Disclaimer: Taking pop shots at live game is irresponsible if you don't know what your doing and practice ALOT at those distances.)
That said, a 44mag has plenty of killing power left beyond 200 yards.

Quote:
Hey there Mystro, just curious, do you consider that shot luck, or purely skill?

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"

Last edited by Mystro; August 2, 2013 at 08:44 AM.

Page generated in 0.07451 seconds with 8 queries