View Single Post
Old September 7, 2009, 11:44 PM   #19
csmsss

Quote:
csmsss:

I don't want to speak for anyone but I think you are missing an extremely important point, that is, that the government as you see it today is a reflection of the "people". In simple words (as Abe wisely put it long time ago) ..."that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people,..." is in fact our creation. It's the nation looking itself in a mirror.

It is in fact the result of democracy. Want to change it? Get involved and for everyone who participates actively or passively in these discussions kudos.
It is precisely the purpose of the Constitution to prevent runaway democracy such as you are describing. Let us not forget that Adolf Hitler was democratically elected in several free and fair (at least by the standards of the time) elections, yet imposed one of, perhaps THE most oppressive and murderous regimes in recorded history.

I'm not comparing anyone to Hitler, just pointing out the obvious fact that the "will of the people" is hardly a guarantee of the protection of individual rights and liberties, and shouldn't be confused as such.

Page generated in 0.02667 seconds with 8 queries