View Single Post
Old March 8, 2005, 09:45 PM   #43
Mike Irwin
Staff

"The only way you can make an accurate assesment of two brands is by having used them both"

Bravo.

Sierra.

It doesn't take a scientific analysis by ever handloader to understand whether or not their equipment is giving them ammo that performs to their expectations.

But, you might be interested in this...

You'll note on my list of dies that I have two sets of Redding dies... One of those is a set of .38/.357 Mag. Redding dies in... titanium carbide.

Let's see... Redding Titanium Carbide dies currently MSRP for just shy of $100 (thank God I have friends in the industry at those kinds of prices).

I also have not one, but TWO sets of Lee tungsten carbide dies in .38/.357 Mag.

I also have a set of RCBS .38/.357 dies, but they're my old steel dies, which I don't use anymore because of the lubricating issues.

Having loaded about 1,500 rounds in the Redding Titanium Carbide dies, what have I found?

Have I found my brass to be resized to any greater degree of consistency? No.

Have I found my ammunition to be any more accurate? No.

Have I found my brass lasting any longer? No.

Have my bullets been seated any more precisely? No.

Have I found any clear advantage, at all, to the Redding Titanium Carbide dies over Lee's tungsten carbide dies? Functionally, no. Dies by both manufacturers produce identical ammunition to the same degree of precision and to the same accuracy potential.

The one feature about Redding dies that I do prefer over Lee dies? The lock rings. But I also like the Lyman, Hornady, and RCBS lock rings more than I like Lee lock rings.

So, were I to actually buy a set of Redding Titanium Carbide dies (instead of being gifted with them) for about THREE TIMES the price of Lee dies, would would I get? Other than lighter in the wallet? Essentially, a very expensive lock ring.

Oh, my primary set of Lee dies in .38/.357? 25,000 rounds loaded through them, and still counting, with no loss in accuracy or precision. At this rate I should wear them out sometime around A.D. 2170.

In any event, I will agree with you that Redding makes very nice products. I'm certain their bottom line is very happy for them, as well.

"I have better things to do with my time."

Such as willfully twist statements made by other posters so that you claim they've said something that they did not? Interesting hobby.

"I don't find that it is necessarily to preach on forums for a number of years..."

Then why did you start off your stay here with a sermon about how people who use Lee dies are know-nothing imbeciles?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.

Page generated in 0.03586 seconds with 8 queries