View Single Post
Old August 3, 2002, 11:02 AM   #14
DARTH 44

C`mon 4V50 Gary, The Lincoln derringer is(as you stated )a derringer,not a revolver.I like it too ,but it`s a 41,thus I`d have to use two diameter ball/moulds to feed my guns.If you look at my original post you`ll see i`d use .454'' balls for all of my cap`n`ball sixguns,and 32 Long rimfire to feed my backup.
AJ,You`re absolutely right,the early metallic cartridges were wimpy compared to their C&B equivalents,but the easiness of use of metallic cartridge,and the fact that A.Lincoln had shot a Spencer rifle himself made one Civil War battle won,(forgot the location,sorry) Let`s take a look at the 1866 Prusso-Austrian war.German infantry had decimated Austrian troops only because the Germans used 15,43mm Dreyse rifles,which could be loaded prone position,whereas the Austrians were equipped with muzzleloaders,and they had to get on their feet to reload.AFAIK there was less powder in the Dreyse cartridge,than in the Austrian MZZLoaders,so it`s not always muzzle energy.In that particular case the user-friendliness turned out to be more essential than raw power.
Of course,I`m not a follower of the ''Wound ,but don`t kill the enemy''theory:barf: Too many good soldiers lost their lives because of that.Let`s get back to the subject.
LeMat revolver-Gun Digest 1995
-Cavalry model(lanyard ring.spur trigger guard)
-Army model(round trigger guard,pin type barrel release)
-Naval-style(thumb selector on hammer)
Which one is the best and most common?
Yeah,I`ve been bitten by that ''65 caliber slug'' bug And why not!?
Good shooting

Page generated in 0.03120 seconds with 8 queries