View Single Post
Old April 15, 2012, 12:54 PM   #7
Rimfire5

You didn't say what depth you were seating at.

In my rifles, Hornady A-Max and Z-Max ammos tend to like to be seated deeper than Sierra ammos. Berger bullets are seem to exhibit the same characteristics. But you would need to measure your chamber before you make any really serious depth adjustments.
If you are measuring overall length the Z-Max tips could be causing you to seat the bullet's ogive more shallow than your barrel likes because those bullets are very pointy.

In my Remington .22-250 with a 1:14 twist and a 26 inch barrel, I find that Reloader-15 shoots better than some of the faster powders. I've tried Varget, H4895 and H-380 but 7 of my top 8 loads are with R-15 and those 8 loads average 0.463 at 100 yards with 82 groups measured.

If your barrel is shorter and the twist faster, you might have totally different results. Savage rifles are reported to be 1:12 twist so they should shoot 55 grain bullets very well, but you might find that they like slightly heavier bullets better. My 1:14 twist does best with bullets that are 55 grains and lighter. It even shoots 40 grain bullets very accurately. Once you get past 60 grains, the accuracy begins to drop off.

Page generated in 0.03243 seconds with 8 queries