View Single Post
Old February 27, 2009, 08:39 AM   #3
jsmaye

Quote:
1) I want a gun I can take out and shoot, not just a shelf collector's item.

2) I'd like it chambered for readily available and relatively cheap (as cheap as ammo can be these days...) rounds....

3) I'm planning on using the rifle for one purpose only, that being recreational target shooting and plinking...

4) I'm interested in a rifle that's notable as accurate, or rather that the accuracy is limited by my ability (or lack thereof!), not a quirk of the rifle....

5) I'm not interested in speed of fire, or large magazine capacity....Thus, I'm probably looking for a bolt action rifle.

6) I'm looking for something relatively affordable. I've no idea of the price range of such guns (one reason I'd like some suggestions so I can research fair values), but if feasible, something that would be in the $300 price range or less. This is the most flexible of my stipulations, but I'm not interested in a higher priced gun just for its value, collectability, rareness, etc.

7) Reliable to shoot and easy to care for. I understand that for cheap ammo, I may need to shoot corrosive ammo, which requires dedicated cleaning after each day's shooting, and that's fine. I just don't want anything that's particularly finicky or noted for demanding special conditions. I don't consider dedicated cleaning and oiling as demanding. If something breaks, I'd like spare parts to be fairly easy to come by.

8) Aside from the price/availability factor mentioned in #2, I'm not concerned about caliber, recoil, etc. If it kicks, it kicks.

9) I don't mind if the wood is a bit ugly looking or roughed up. I'd actually expect such from a used surplus rifle, and I'm not adverse to doing a little TLC to restore a stock. As long as the mechanics are sound, that's fine by me.

10) I'd prefer an actual historical rifle from times past, not a modern reproduction, or even a used reproduction.
The $300 cap puts most American (M1, M1a, M1903, M1917) rifles out of reach. You'd need to at least double that.

The lack of readily available ammunition takes out the Japanese rifles and the Steyr Mannlichers - though technically available, there's not a large cache like the others. And some is more available than others; there are boatloads of Mosin Nagant 7.62x54R.

The military surplus rifles are very robust and reliable. The Enfields have to be checked that the proper bolt is matched to the rifle for headspace issues, but this is a one-time check - once confirmed you're go to for the life of the rifle. The various Mausers, Mosin Nagants, Steyr Mannlichers, Schmidt Rubins, and Enfields are nearly indestructible and still pretty available. Narrowing down from here is pretty much a matter of personal taste.

These are all bolt-action rifles, some traditional, some a little different, like the straight-pull M95 or K31.

The rounds (and recoil) are roughly equivalent to a .30-06. The carbine versions would obviously kick a little more. Some of them even produce a nice fireball when shot.

Their accuracy will surprise you, as long as the bore is in good shape. These rifles were designed for engagement at battlefield distances, i.e. hundreds of meters.

I have a Mosin Nagant 91/30 and a somewhat rare 91/38. Both are excellent shooters, although the 91/38 might get relegated to wall-hanger. I would have no problem filling out my collection with more Mosins.

I have an Austrian Steyr-Mannlicher M95 stutzen (carbine). It roars like a cannon and kicks like a mule. Though ammo is scarce, I'd like to get the Hungarian version to round out the collection.

I have a Schmidt Rubin K31. This is a target rifle disguised as a battle rifle. It's Swiss workmanship at its best and somewhat of a sleeper in the mil-surp world.

And finally, I have a Yugoslavian M24/47, their version of the Mauser. I haven't shot it yet, but it's a bargain at $160. The bore looks un-issued.

Last edited by jsmaye; February 27, 2009 at 09:30 AM.

Page generated in 0.02616 seconds with 8 queries