View Single Post
Old July 23, 2011, 10:03 PM   #23
jmr40

Quote:
It is certainly a better killer on deer than a bow.

^^^We will have to agree to disagree on this.

Will a 223 kill a deer? Yes it will, so will a 22, and you can beat on stuff with a wrench but that doesn't make it the right tool for the job.

As for comparing the use cartridges on people and deer, would you hunt deer with a 380 or a 32? A weapon for use on people has a different set of priorities than one used for hunting. I can only speak for myself but I see it as my responsibilty to put an animal down quickly with one shot. Without question, a 308 does that much better than a 223.

Here is a scenario for you. A big buck steps out at 200 yards right as it is getting dark and he is quartering towards you. Which rifle do you want?
Every weapon has it's limitations. My bow, handguns, 308, even my 7mm Rem mag. I know those limitations and accept them when I walk into the woods with the weapon I've chosen for that day's hunt. I wouldn't attempt a 300 yard shot with the bow, handgun or a 223. With the 308 or 7 mag yes. A 223 with proper ammo is a MUCH better deer killer at 200 yards than any bow at 50 yards. I know guys who have sold off all their rifles and hunt exclusively with longbows. They have made a choice to place severe limitations on themselves. That is not for me, but I respect their choice.

The only folks who claim it won't relibly kill deer are those who haven't used one. Those who have seen the results have no reservations about using one. It wouldn't be my 1st choice in most cases either, but you better believe the round, with the right ammo will put any deer down, and quick with a good hit. A miss is a miss with anything and the end result is the same

Page generated in 0.02614 seconds with 8 queries