View Single Post
Old June 19, 2013, 05:20 PM   #63
Winchester_73

Quote:
How are you going to "move up" to the .454 Casull (only) and exclude the .45 Colt?

Kind of like saying you're going to somehow chamber a gun in .357 mag and exclude .38 Specials?

What keeps you from shooting the shorter round?
EDIT - Mavracer was quicker on the draw, but if you prefer the Charles Dickens version of what he said, read on!

What he was trying to say was simply "why should we load way up a vintage cartridge, to where many guns are no longer safe for the round, instead of introducing a new one (with a longer case)." In essence, if Ruger only loads are just that, Ruger only, then why not develop a new cartridge or in this specific case, chamber the 454 sooner than they did to allow for the need of high pressure 45 loads? Some of Ruger building their 45 colt revolvers super strong was not intented to allow for much higher pressure loads that many shoot through them, but rather to ensure the durability and longevity of their guns.

Of course, you can physically shoot 45 colt in a 454 and 38 special in the 357 magnum regardless. The point was that perhaps they could have (or should have) made 454s instead of over engineered 45 colt guns to begin with. I understand to some they're not over engineered, but when they can handle loads that most other 45 colt guns cannot, I think at that point they are over engineered. Its kind of like with older S&Ws, would you rather have a 38/44 Outdoorsman (N frame 38 special) or a 357 magnum? You can load either way up, but the 357 will most likely handle high pressure loads, for a longer period of time, because it was specifically made for high pressure rounds. The 45 Colt vs 454 is the same question or suggestion, if you will.

454s are heavier than most 45 colt revolvers. Some prefer that tradeoff and of course some do not. With 45 colt rounds, its kind of like there are two completely different loads, with the same exact outside dimensions. The "Ruger only" 45 colt loads are in essence +P+, or at the very least, +P. Some people like to do that, and that is how all of these rounds such as 357 mag, 44 mag and 454 casull were developed. I think Spacecoast was saying or rather, implying: "why not play with the rounds which were made to be higher pressure, and play with the guns designed to shoot them." I suppose then you have to figure platform issues would arise IE someone prefers a Ruger Blackhawk or Redhawk in 45 colt to SA 454 because perhaps the Ruger is smaller or lighter, or anything. Perhaps they like the Ruger 45 Colt DA over 454 DA revolvers. Maybe they cannot afford a 454 or 460, so they shoot higher pressure 45 colt rounds.

The big point is this: there is something for everyone, and to each, their own.

Page generated in 0.02267 seconds with 8 queries