View Single Post
Old May 7, 2013, 06:47 AM   #6
jmr40

A VX-II is at least 7-8 years old, maybe close to 40. There is a SN on the scope and you can date it here.

http://www.leupold.com/resources/faqs/

You'll have to scroll down near the bottom of the page.

Leupold uses a system for naming their scopes that is a bit confusing in my opinion. And the FAQ section on their website needs to be updated. it hasn't been changed in years even though their scopes have gone though several upgrades.

Leupolds top of the line variable scopes were originally the Varix-III. Even early versions of those made in the 1970's had friction adjustments The Varix-II was their mid-level scope and the Varix-I the budget scope.

Several years ago they upgraded their entire lineup and gave them a very subtle name change

VX-III
VX-II
VX-I

More recent upgrades brought about the

VX-3
VX-2
VX-1
Rifleman.

The Rifleman is essentially a VX-1 with no possibilities for adding options such as turrets, different reticles, finishes etc.

Starting in January of 2012 Leupold once again upgraded their scopes without changing their names. The VX-3 was improved. Todays VX-2 is the same scope as a 2011 or older VX-3 including changing to click djustments. A new VX-1 is the same scope as a 2011 made VX-2. The Rifleman was unchanged.

Since these improvents the VX-1 (about $200) and VX-2 (about $300) are probably the best value in a scope. Buying a VX-2 today gets you the same scope that would have cost you over $400 two years ago.

Your Varix-II is still a good scope. It is as tough as woodpecker lips and will probably last for many more years. But it is several generations older than newer scopes and will not be in the same league optically as newer scopes. Rubber seals will eventully wear out and could fail on a scope that old. The good news is that Leupold will still fix it for free. I have several older Varix-III's made in the 1970's that I still use. They are not quite as sharp as newer scopes, but I trust they will work.

Page generated in 0.03370 seconds with 8 queries