Thread: Which Walther?
View Single Post
Old March 19, 2013, 01:26 AM   #13

Quote:
This is a thought-provoking post. I would submit that the sound of a primer firing is loud enough to be heard even over hearing protection (which you wouldn't likely be wearing during an incident anyway). I have fired primed cases in a gun once to test a seating depth issue, and they are loud.

Restrike does fix the most common problem (primer needs another whack), but it doesn't fix *as many* problems, which is why I was told TRB is superior when I asked the question in training.
Glad you liked it. I've only had a few experiences in 35 years firing cartridges that didn't ignite and only 1 (in a Hi-Power) that didn't have a powder charge and in that 1 case I never heard the primer ignite because I was wearing hearing protection. My main concern with TRB for those who practice it, is if they pull the trigger and the gun goes "click" in a gunfight, the automatic reflex is going to be TRB and never knowing the condition of the ejected case. If that round were a squib load, that next one is going to give you a worse day than you're already having.

I know I may be in disagreement with some trainers, but what I do and teach to others that use DA/SA pistols, is if a round goes click, pull through in double-action to get a second strike. This can be done very rapidly if practiced and I've yet to have a cartridge that failed to fire on the second strike except for the squib (in the Hi-Power) and I didn't try pulling the hammer back to restrike or do a TRB because I was fortunate enough to recognize immediately that it might be a squib and that was at the range. If a round didn't go off with a second strike you've lost very little time and can then go right to TRB immediately. And as I said, I believe that TRB originated with 1911 shooters that never had the second strike option. And you don't have it with most striker fired pistols. The P-99 is one of the few polymer framed, striker fired pistols that is DA/SA, so since that second strike capability is there, I'd use it.

My older brother just bought his first defensive pistol, a Taurus 111 SSP that has second strike DA capability, although it is not a true DA/SA. This is the method I'm teaching him. He is going to get training for his CCL so I've made him aware of how the trainer is likely to instruct, but since his pistol is not SA only, I feel very comfortable teaching him the same method I use with DA/SA pistols.

Page generated in 0.02509 seconds with 8 queries