View Single Post
Old July 20, 2012, 12:24 PM   #9
Andy Griffith

Number one, I'm not an expert by any means.

I don't know if I suggested this before to someone else, but since you're getting into BP cartridge reloading, I will be bold enough to ask if, possibly, you may get into loading rifle and even shotshells with holy black? If so, I would suggest going with the Lee Classic Cast press (without the breech lock) so you may take out the insert and use large, 1 1/4" dies such as those for .577 Snyder and 10/12/16/20ga brass shells and any other large dies to your heart's content. This is not only for convenience, but for vastly expanded versatility down the road. It's going to cost a good bit more than the basic Lee press, but I don't think it can be worn out, nor will I think you will regret the purchase in any way.

The one other thing besides the above I can recommend for nothing but an ease of loading or even pre-charging is getting a black powder measure like the Lyman or Hornady- it will make loading cartridges or shotshells so much more pleasurable, and less of a drudgery. I also use my Hornady to pre-charge a Pedersoli glass vial match set- I do find that charges are more consistent with it than from a flask into a measure, and no wasted or spilled powder. All those grains lost from leveling off can add up!

I can't remember which moulds I have for .45 Colt, but there are a couple of older Ideals I have (I think) for it that are RNFP. I did get a mould for 44-40 recently for those "big lube" bullets and I'd recommend them for real blackpowder loads or even smokeless- they have those for .452 also.

Just have fun!

Last edited by Andy Griffith; July 20, 2012 at 12:30 PM.

Page generated in 0.02289 seconds with 8 queries