View Single Post
Old January 29, 2010, 02:17 AM   #6
ADB

Quote:
Quit listening to the commie EPA.
That's the sort of silly comment that makes me question the grade of advice I get here on this subject.

Anyway, to answer okiefarmer, my concern is that shooting up hard targets (cinderblocks, etc) or when rounds go through the target and hit a rock out in the field, then it's going to cause the lead to do what lead does when it hits something at rifle velocity, namely cast off a huge number of tiny little lead fragments and dust. The way the water flow on my property is, that's going to take that stuff right into my pond, which sits almost on top of my water well. Not a good idea.

Also if I ever want to hunt anything, I'm damn sure going to be using lead-free ammo. Somebody did a study awhile back and found that using a lead bullet on a deer left hundreds of those little bits of lead I mentioned buried inside the meat.

And no, that white corroded coating does not protect lead from leaching into the environment. Tests have shown that the oxidized lead leaches several inches into the ground. If that soil gets washed into the water table, it takes it's lead content with it. It can also be taken up by nearby plants.

Like I said, it wouldn't be a problem if this were a properly maintained range where the soil was treated and the ground sifted. But this is a cornfield behind my house, and I'd like not to mess the place up.

Page generated in 0.02787 seconds with 8 queries