View Single Post
Old September 1, 2008, 08:52 PM   #1
bclark1

Can a rube build a tack-driver AR?

Hey folks,

Title says it all. I'm not a gunsmith, and I don't play one on TV. I've done some tinkering but I'd say in this crowd it's probably negligible. But I've always wanted to learn. So I was planning a project AR build with the intention of trying to make it a varmint-type rifle. I was considering a .204 Ruger barrel, conceding that this would keep me inside the quarter-mile shooting radius. Keep racking up the calibers, y'know?

So we want a good rifle, we buy good parts, right? Or does it require more? For example:
Does something like a Timney drop-in obviate the need for fitting, as I understand you'd typically do with a nice Jewel?
Would a high-quality bolt-carrier group (e.g. Young) cut down on the fact that none of those parts were fitted to the receiver or barrel?
Would barrel installation be an operation better left to a manufacturer or gunsmith in weapons looking for above-average precision?

I'm not necessarily looking for authoritative answers on those specific questions, but rather just trying to give an idea of the gist of my concerns. Hoping to hear this is in fact something that I can tackle myself, but it's probably better to get some verification of that before I go throwing money around.

Thanks!

Page generated in 0.03528 seconds with 8 queries