View Single Post
Old April 10, 2008, 07:34 PM   #3
Inspector3711

Not far enough with the die OR the bullet seater. If the bullet is touching the rifling and you pull the trigger, gun turns into grenade or bolt just plain wont close. You need a gap between the rifling and the shoulder of the bullet. I have Redding dies. To set up the full sizer die they want you to pull the press all the way up with the shell holder in place but no shell. Next spin the sizer die down until it just touches the shell holder then back it out 1/2 turn. Resize one shell and then chamber it (just the empty shell). If the bolt closes easy you are set if not, turn the die clockwise 1/8 turn and resize the same shell. Repeat until it fits. If you are sure that it's set right and that your trim is correct then it seems to me the bullet isn't seated deeply enough which can be pretty dangerous if one fits well enough to close the bolt but is tight enough to touch the rifling. I think you want .050" between the shoulder of the bullet and the rifling lands (as I recall) but consult your manual.

Page generated in 0.02439 seconds with 8 queries