Thread: Mugging Teams
View Single Post
Old November 19, 2005, 12:44 PM   #23
GHT

I have a big plus one to get the heck out of there. Seriously.

I was mugged in Central Park years ago (during part of my 20 year stay in the city).
The lead mugger told me he liked my camera and wanted it as he approached me (I was already aware of the group and was steering away from them).
I took off. There were about 4 of them and they were trying to flank me as we ran. I was faster than them but because I was going so fast I could not turn on the twisty paths through the park and ended up going through the trees and scrub.
I thought I was going to make it until I ran right up to a lake.
My boots were worth more than my camera so I handed it over and they took off.
Obviously as this was NYC I was not carrying any kind of weapon that would have successfully defended me against 4 attackers.

Fast forward to today.
I no longer live in NYC and if that happened anywhere in CT, where I now reside, I would have the means of defending myself.
However, the first and second instincts I had back then (avoid them once you see them and run if they approach) would still be operative.
That makes you the vic and them the perps, so when they get up to you and you flash Mr Caliber-du-Jour in their general direction there is no chance of you being "gun-wielding maniac" instead of "victim of attempted mugging".
And if you were forced to cap one or two then your defense should be a lot more solid.

G

Page generated in 0.03271 seconds with 8 queries