View Single Post
Old April 13, 2008, 12:42 PM   #6
HogManMagnum

yeah practicing with jhp rounds is not cost-effective. after i run a 50 rd box or so of my chosen self defense rounds thru my gun to make sure they feed reliably i just take about 10 or so rounds to the range every so often to make sure they still get along with me and my gun

that said, i also have a .40 and i've noticed i tend to be more accurate with the 180gr rds than with the 155gr rds although i havent been able to get back to the range to further test that out. i have 2 boxes of hornady TAP FPD jhp rds, one in 155gr and one in 180gr and im going to see which one im more comfortabe with recoil and accuracy wise. the winner becomes my new SD ammo. im hoping my original felling was right and the 180gr shoots better for me since range rounds seem to be more readily available in 180gr and i like practicing with the same weight as i keep for defense. unfortunalty the lighter, faster 155 & 165gr loads are better stoppers, but ill take accuracy and ease of follow up shots over a one shot stop any day. also it appears the lighter bullets have more of a tendancy to overpenetrate in the event of a miss... ill repost once i get back to the range

btw Bearbong, did u mean 185gr or 180gr? cuz i havent seen any 185gr .40 cal loads... also cabelas online has a great deal on winchester ranger 155gr 14.99 per 50bx

Page generated in 0.02269 seconds with 8 queries