View Single Post
Old March 18, 2000, 10:42 PM   #11
KSLawman

I have to go along with most of the others. I don't like the Series '80 mechanism either. A friend of mine bought a stainless Colt Officer's 45 several years ago, and carried it for a week off duty before his department's annual qualification. When he tried to qualify with it, it wouldn't fire. Seems the lever that comes out of the frame to push the firing pin block out of the way was bent, and didn't touch the firing pin block.

On the other hand, my wife's favorite pistol, also a stainless Officer's 45 (I gave it to her before I ever bought her a ring) has that feature, and I've left it in, but every time I clean the pistol, while it's still unloaded, I drop a pencil with a good eraser down the barrel, point it upward, and press the trigger. If the pencil ever doesn't pop out, the pistol will be out of service until it's either repaired or the doggone thing is removed and turned into something useful.

I personally don't think that a Series '80 Colt with the firing pin block removed is any more dangerous than a Kimber, a Springfield, or a pre-Series '80 Colt, but I do realize that lawyers can and will jump on anything they can find to try to win a big settlement from you or your insurance carrier. No mechanical device is perfect, even our favorite handguns, and we must either learn to overcome their shortcomings or work around them in order to live with them.

Stay safe,

------------------
Roger Shambaugh
Ottawa, Kansas

"No man who's in the wrong can stand against
a man who knows he's right and keeps on
a-comin'." Capt. Bill McDonald, Texas Rangers

Page generated in 0.02912 seconds with 8 queries