View Single Post
Old August 12, 2011, 09:32 PM   #10
Flyboy_451

The loads were selected because, according to multiple manuals, the powder and charge weights used were shown as near max pressure loads and near the target velocity. Without pressure test equipment, this is the best I can do. Some adjustment was needed to arrive at velocities that were very close, but the difference in pressure would not likely have been large as the adjustments were about .1 grain from charges listed. The .40 would have likely seen the largest difference due to case capacity, but even then, I doubt it was a significant enough difference to close the 15,000psi gap between the two cartridges.

No targets were used. The shooters fired through the chronograph and into a grass covered berm 50 yards away. That was something I actually considered.

The muzzle was not blocked from view. I thought about it but deecided against it for two main reasons. This was a test of simple preference not measured muzzle rise or recoil. I did not want to hide any of the effects of shooting the guns. This includes muzzle rise, blast, noise and recoil all combined. I actually thought about including questions about felt blast and noise but elected not to in the end in an effort to keep the survey simple by only asking for general preference.

Future projects may include a more detailed survey. I am undecided at this point.

JW

Page generated in 0.02006 seconds with 8 queries