View Single Post
Old November 25, 2008, 02:56 AM   #1
jimpeel

Gifting a firearm

The 4473 used to have a place for whether the firearm purchase was for a gift. That has apparently been removed. So here is the dilemma.

I have a co-worker who is disabled and confined to a wheelchair. I had mentioned that I thought she would be good at shooting as when one loses one faculty the rest tend to be enhanced somewhat. Shooting is also one of the few sports available to the disabled.

She will be leaving for Florida forever in about a month and I wanted to get her a going away present.

Her favorite color is pink and we have this .22 cal kid gun at Wal-Mart that is pink. I told her that if she wanted to possibly try out shooting as a sport, and if she is willing to procure an instructor in FL to teach her shooting, that I would gift her that firearm.

Here's the problem:

If I buy it and give it to her she is not on the 4473 as the recipient.

I really want her to be the person detailed on the 4473, not me. That way, if the firearm is lost or stolen and recovered she will get it back.

If I buy it and give it to her at the counter, which is not my preferred method of delivery to her; would that be a straw purchase?

If she fills out the forms, and wheels through the hoops, and I pay the bill; would that be a straw purchase?

If I give her the money at the counter, and she purchases it; would that be a straw purchase?

Things used to be so simple before the "easy access to firearms" came along.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

J

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey

Page generated in 0.03137 seconds with 8 queries