View Single Post
Old April 7, 2018, 03:41 PM   #19
bamaranger

I may have come across a bit hard on my first response, but it was directed at the logic and not the cartridge.

My experience with the .223 on deer is limited to bamaboys first two white tails. Both were one shot kills, on using a 62 gr Federal tactical bonded load, the second with a 55 gr Federal tactical bonded. The rifle was a Interarms MiniMauser MarkX. Both were one shot kills, through the chest cavity. One deer ran about 30 yds and did not bleed a drop, no exit wound either. The other ran about 60 yds and bled heavy, everywhere. I do not recall what bullet weight was used on either shot, but on the no exit wound, the deer was close, like 25 yds, and I theorize the velocity was high enough that the bullet expanded sufficiently to be caught by the hide on the opposite side, where we found it perfectly mushroomed.

Conditions were ideal, we were in shooting house or blind, off sticks or support, and we had practiced shooting and rehearsed plenty. Even used my 3D archery target to discuss angles and shot placement. I was at his elbow coaching, he was 11 on the first deer. So the .223 will kill deer, and it is easy to shoot, and shoot well for a lot of folks that could not shoot anything much else any better. I personally believe that more gun is better, and a step up to x39mm (bolt) , or 30-30( not a lever) , or .243 is one in the right direction. I also think that the SA AR platform is not a good choice for youngsters (likely get flamed for that) , and the New England single shots offer an affordable alternative if you can find one.

I have no experience on hogs, but have no doubt hogs of the 100-150 lb variety will fall to a well placed, suitable .223 bullet. When you get up past 200 lbs, plus, I wonder. There seem to be a lot of folks killing hogs with .223, mostly with neck and head shots. Where to hit hogs seems to be a challenge for a lot of folks (like me) raised on deer.

I see the AR/.223 used in coyote shooting a good bit. Multiple 'yotes come in and the hunter rolls one, and gets shots at another due to the ease of second shot. I could see an advantage in a prairie dog town as well, not having to work the bolt would ease the strain of all day shooting (may we all be so cursed). The .223 is likely at its best as a varmint cartridge.

Page generated in 0.03170 seconds with 8 queries