View Single Post
Old April 17, 2013, 10:39 AM   #263
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD
I now ask you- if that is still happening- which I hope you would concede- the purpose is not being served, and it is not restricting the flow of firearms to prohibited persons. I feel that grants me leave to repeat my original question- Have you an idea to efficiently restrict the flow of firearms to prohibited persons?
My answer would not change. Criminalizing the possession of firearms by those who by means of due process no longer have the right to possess those arms is an efficient way to restrict arms to those people.

We do not require perfection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD
The NICS system is not perfect.
Indeed. Neither are speed limits. We could put the sale and purchase of cars that can travel over 65 mph under the authority the federal government, which would encourage people not to purchase cars that go too fast (i.e. encourage them to do the right thing) and would almost assuredly reduce the frequency with which people exceed speed limits. Yet, we consider speed limits sufficiently effective for the purpose of regulating traffic.

I could fashion legislation that if an active would absolutely stop all speeding, but no reasonable person would consider that sort of law efficient.

Apologies. I will have to return to this later; I have a lunch I cannot put off.

Last edited by zukiphile; April 17, 2013 at 10:44 AM.

Page generated in 0.03140 seconds with 8 queries