View Single Post
Old July 28, 2014, 12:32 AM   #18
tahunua001

Quote:
A 147 grain 9mm bullet launched at 1000fps is going to have roughly 755fps velocity and 186ft-lbs of energy @ 400 yards if you use a 147 grain bullet with a decent BC. Compare that to non +P .38 special from a 4'' barrel launching a 148 grain WC at roughly 700fps, it doesn't seem like a thick jacket would be able to stop one so easily.
Even if a HP doesn't expand, it's going to at least act like a SWC or FMJ, and will likely penetrate a decent amount in soft tissue.
for the purposes of their test they were not using 147gr HPs, they were using 124gr FMJs. an FMJ is not going to expand at all, especially if it's only got 125FTLBs of energy left. by thick jacket I don't mean fluffy and down, I mean like Carhartt or other heavy duty jacket. I'm not saying that you would not injured, I'm just saying that it is a huge leap to say that just a bullet would still be lethal because it still penetrates a sheet of plywood at that range...

that's also ignoring the fact that at 400 yards, assuming 1000FPS at the muzzle, that 124gr FMJ drops 300+ inches... I doubt you'd even get the shot on target at that range, especially if it was moving.

Page generated in 0.02410 seconds with 8 queries