View Single Post
Old October 5, 2017, 01:24 PM   #42
johnwilliamson062

Outside of competition games I think way too much weight is put on raw speed. It is far more important to train to start moving as soon as anything happens and develop a system with consistent times. I have not heard of any place where you can get into legal trouble for moving in response to a threat. They threat may shoot, lunge, or whatever, but at least you are moving if they do. Just like how many shots you need you can't predict how fast you will need to be.

Quote:
Did you get some sort of certificate calligraphed by hand on vellum to hang on your wall? Do you also have a handy laminated card to carry in your wallet?
Of course not. I received assurances of a lawyer, liability insurance, political pressure, and hopes of a short ride in a laundry cart if it came to that.

Quote:
And the fact that many people might share a common, erroneous understanding of something is no reason to perpetuate that error by repeating or defending that misunderstanding. In fact, it's a reason for those who know and properly understand the subject to provide accurate information and correct the misunderstanding.
Every rule, even with firearms, is more complicated than one sentence can describe. Exceptions abound.
1. A gun is always loaded. 2.Never point a gun at something you don't intend to destroy. 3. Always keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target.
Then you go to a clays event and a guy carries a broke shotgun around muzzling everyone and when he walks up to the line he pulls his release trigger before he even calls for the pigeon/clay/target.

If someone does not understand a person who has been tipped out of their wheelchair, but is still wielding a knife on the ground basically immobilized, is not an immediate physical threat simply because they are 18 feet away; discussing the issue with them is not likely to be effective.

I'm not reciting that article verbatim every time the issue comes up or carrying a copy around in my wallet. When the term is used, if anyone doesn't understand, then a more in depth discussion is warranted. An excess of modal verbs is probably best.

"21 foot observation"
"21 foot guideline"
Reword it in a standard for that is not as definitive as some tend to word it.
This thread is missing a mandatory item:
Surrounded man injures several and kills one armed officer with knife.
Yes, there are a lot of obvious poor training issues in that video.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; October 5, 2017 at 01:30 PM.

Page generated in 0.03209 seconds with 8 queries