View Single Post
Old April 14, 2011, 04:58 PM   #56
Alaska444

Dear MLkeake,

Yes, I believe we probably agree on more than we disagree. I had another instance where I chose to stay in local housing at Walter Reed instead of the Holiday Inn when training. Bad mistake, I ended up in the ghetto with a house full of cock roaches. My money was gone, and I was stuck for one month. Thank you Walter Reed housing office for the referral to this place.

In any case, I spent most of my time on call in the hospital and little time in that pit, but I got a little too cavalier about being in an all black neighborhood off of Georgia avenue. My last night on call, the resident told me to go home at 6 pm and take the rest of the night off. I ended up walking the mile back to my wonderful appartment and by the time I was almost home, it was getting dark. I walked past a shady looking nightclub where the bouncer was talking to a very large black male about 7 feet tall for real. I didn't like the situation, but I just walked by and didn't think much of it. I then heard his footsteps coming up behind me in a very dark place.

I immediately bolted across the 4 lane road with traffic to go to fried chicken place. Just as I get to the other side of this busy street, a Wash D.C. Cop comes screeming to a halt and gets out of the car and yells at me, What the !!!! are you doing here. You had one almost get you. When I told him I lived "right over there." he said get there and don't come out again at night.

I can't say I was too smart when I was young, my wife tells me I am not too smart today, but getting back to this thread, perceiving the threat is an incredibly important survival skill. Fortunately, in the instance above, I had the sixth sense without looking back over my shoulder that I was in BIG trouble. Since then, I don't put myself in that type of really stupid situation in the first place. Unfortunately, my own kids are still too naive and look at me weird when I put my gun on my hip or my pocket. "Oh dad." Well, chalk it up to experience, but taking notice that there are BG's out there is the first step to staying out of trouble.

I never would have been walking those streets that time of night without some one else armed in a group of us. The first part of not being a victim is not looking like a victim. I didn't do well in my first attempted mugging situation not looking like an easy target. I have learned since then.

Page generated in 0.03755 seconds with 8 queries