View Single Post
Old January 7, 2017, 05:24 PM   #14
Archie

The fickleness of public opinion

I collect 'art deco' .32 ACP pistols. (I have one of the Harrington & Richardson Self loaders mentioned in the OP.) One of the reasons I started collecting old .32 autos was they were cheap. Lugers and Colt SAAs were way out of my grasp. Now, they've been 'discovered'. Forty years ago, gun shops and pawn shops could not GIVE Spanish made .32s away. Two years ago I found and purchased a nice Astra 300 for around $500 U. S. dollars.

I also collect WWI era rifles, especially military rifles. The U. S. rifles are expensive - Krags, M1903s and M1917s - but many European rifles are still 'comfortable' in price. Of course, some are difficult to find ammunition. (I have one rifle for which I must form cases from another caliber.) And they're getting rare - at least 'scarcer'. The rifles are still around, but they've been sporterized.

So why do some go up and others don't? Supply and demand, as usual. In this case, mostly demand. No one wants a 'Raven'. Probably, (hopefully?) not in another hundred years, either.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Page generated in 0.03690 seconds with 8 queries