View Single Post
Old December 17, 2016, 05:24 PM   #19
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Small town law enforcement. The department bought a Glock 18 and the chief carries it. It's not about practicality or necessity. It's a fullauto belt trophy.
And a perfect example "I can have one, you peons cannot". It may only be MINOR corruption, but it still is authority using that authority for personal PLEASURE.

There are NO GLock 18s available to ordinary citizens. The civilian FA registry was closed before the Glock 18 was invented. The only people who can legally "own" them are police (through dept ownership) the military (who doesn't want them) and licensed dealers in FA weapons (dealer samples).

It's not a new concept, it goes back to the Mauser Schnellfeurpistole. And yes, the ability to spray a number of rounds full auto from a pistol size weapon does have some tactical utility, in very special circumstances.

As a general duty weapon, it sucks. Not so much for the guy carrying it, but for everyone in the general area if he opens up.

Quote:
A full auto or selective fire handgun would be about the worst weapon in the world for a police force in anything like a democratic country.
I have to agree with this, 110% or even higher. Particularly in the US. All one has to do is watch the news for a while, and it becomes painfully obvious that a number of our police are NOT sufficiently trained to handle the semi autos they already carry, and a full auto would be even worse.

Forget about the fact that well trained, experienced people CAN manage the gun, because THOSE people aren't going to be a problem. It's the rest of the people, who won't get enough training or practice that would be truly dangerous.

Look at the recent NYC shooting were the police KILLED a couple of bystanders, wounded about half a dozen more, and never even HIT the bad guy they were shooting at! (or maybe just wounded him, once, I forget)

The point is that, that body count was from "trained" officers using SEMI AUTOS. What do you think would have been the result if they had been firing FULL AUTO???

Worse, I'm guessing...

Few people in the world get enough training and practice to be able to effectively handle actual SMGs (with stocks) weighing two or three times as much as a Glock 18.

Its a neat toy, that I can't legally own (pouts..), but I think would be a very dangerous weapon to arm overworked and under trained police with.

Might be ok for Seal Team 6, but for the cop on the beat, no.

Page generated in 0.03582 seconds with 8 queries