View Single Post
Old December 31, 2013, 01:57 PM   #9
jmr40

No reason to do so. Years ago variable power optics were a lot less reliable and less expensive. Not so today, a variable of EQUAL quality is about the same price and every bit as reliable. If you want a fixed power 4X, 6X, 8X etc, just buy a variable 3-9X and leave it on the setting you prefer.

Quote:
99% of people just what it on max and leave it
I've found the opposite to be true. In fact the biggest problem with fixed power scopes is that they have TOO MUCH magnification. I prefer a 1-4X, 2-7X or 3-9X and leave them on the lowest setting 99% of the time. A fixed 4X is just too much most of the time.

I zero at long range on the highest setting. Then turn it down to the lowest setting and practice at shorter ranges. I cannot remember the last time I shot a game animal not on the lowest setting. If I need to take a longer shot, it goes straight to the highest magnification. I never mess with anything in between.

I don't have time to mess with the scopes magnification adjustment for close shots plus I need all the field of view I can get up close. That is why it stays on the lowest setting. You almost always have plenty of time to set up for long shots so taking the time to change to a higher setting is no problem.

Quote:
Peopleget scopes because they want to shoot far away.
Totally false.

Scopes are just as helpful at 5 feet as at 500 yards. Many make the mistake of buying too much scope. A 1X-3X scope is faster for up close rapid fire shooting than dot sights or irons. Scopes help you see the target easier. They are also a huge help in low light in helping locate your target.

Page generated in 0.03687 seconds with 8 queries