Thread: Accuracy
View Single Post
Old September 19, 2010, 05:30 PM   #14
270 fan

difference between point of impact on factory vs handloads on 270win

Due to some logistic/life complications I am out of handloads and unsure that I can get any done up in time for hunting season so I picked up a factory box of federal premium 130 nosler partition shells. My pet hunting handload for over 20years in a 1984 ruger m77(fit with custom fee floating fibreglass stock b4 these were factory available and a leupold variIII 2.5-8 scope) has been 55 grains of IMR 4350 behind 130grn nosler partition bullets. My dies have been set the same forever as overallcartridge length was set to be right behind rifling in this rifle. It seems that regardless of brass/primer combo this load provides sub1.5" groups in only semi benchrest conditions that shoot 3.5" high at 100yards.

The first thing that I noted about the factory loads were that they were a full1/8" shorter than the dummy handload round that I had for rifle. When I fired a 3shot group at 100 yards was quite interesting as was centre line, but was 6.5" high. the first and third shot actually overlapped and the second was flier almost 1.5" to right. When I moved out to 200 yards though noted that this load seemed to be shooting 11.5" high. I do not have my reloading manuals handy and sure do not remember my trajectory tables well enough, but this does not seem right. While I have not shot too much this year am pretty sure operator error is not the issue here and at $43/box do not want to waste too many more of the factory stuff on the range. Can somebody explain? Also, may be ignorant in another way as does not this sort of difference suggest that these factory loads may be "hotter" than what the handloads I have used for so many years. Thx.

Page generated in 0.03073 seconds with 8 queries