View Single Post
Old March 20, 2007, 10:32 PM   #14
44 AMP
Staff

weighing vs volume measure

Why is there a "vs" at all? You can use one, or the other, or both. Both have their little drawbacks when used seperately, but they are minimized when used together.

Weighing takes more time (even with electronic scales), and can get tedious, working the trickler. Dippers must be used with great care to be consistant.

Powder measures without weighing are not a good idea, for me, as the markings are only guidelines. Fixed charge measures restrict you (like dippers)to the preset volumes.

I use a scale to set my measure(s), and then check them periodically during loading, every x number of round, after refilling the measure, etc.

When loading, consider the small (.1gr or so) variation in charges against the overall volumn of the charge. A .1 variation in a powder charge of 4.5gr is a much larger difference than it is in a charge of 50.4gr. Will it make a difference in the accuracy of your ammo? Maybe. Maybe not. The only way to tell would be to load a batch with exactly measured weight, then reload the same brass with (weighed) volume charges. And even then it only works for that particular load in your particular gun. And that assumes that there are no other factors that could account for any difference.

As has been noted, some long range/benchrest shooters rely on volume.
Of course, some of them shoot the whole match using the same single case, oriented the same way in the chamber every time. It all depends on what you are after.

Page generated in 0.03811 seconds with 8 queries