Thread: Gun/vault room
View Single Post
Old December 15, 2017, 10:16 AM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungiex88
I have a full concrete room in basement I plan on turning into a gun room. 2 walls are the poured foundation and is under ground. The other 2 walls are concrete block. I need to pour the floor because that’s the only spot in basement that isn’t poured. I plan on installing a steel door for entry. The ceiling is open joist and I do plan on installing a drop ceiling. My question is I was wondering if anyone had some diy ideas to help secure the ceiling. I know I may be over doing it and over thinking it. I’m just worried it would be to easy for someone to simply take a chainsaw to gain access from above.
Candidly, unless the concrete block walls were built with reinforcing bars and the hollow cells filled with grout, it would be MUCH easier for someone to smash through the block wall than to chain saw through the floor. Most people look at concrete block and think "concrete ... solid" but they are mostly air. As an architect who has done innumerable alteration projects, I've seen just how easy it is to break through a CMU (concrete masonry unit) wall.

Page generated in 0.03035 seconds with 8 queries